Tuesday, April 2, 2013

Veils (i)



 i

there is a garden
there is lantern - unlit
table, too saint
consumed in their dying

i live in its shadow, its thorn and its berry
i dance with the ant
seek wisdom from the worm, as

the veil of my longing is known only to morning
the moss and the fledgling
laugh at her caul

i am loved by
the ivy, my mother mused virgin - concealed
she is skirted in creme and in dew
she nurses my foresight - she kisses my brow

not window would
find me, not line, not a word
i am given to the garden, given yet
denied, with

the veil of all longing known only to the morning
feathers once flown
laugh at the wind, as

i would delight in the still,
aware of  leaving  -  dealt
the unborn
the shroud of my breath

bkmackenzie
copyrighted 2013


van Gogh 1889 - Tree with ivy in the Asylum Garden

20 comments:

  1. really wicked flow bk...
    a fav part...

    i dance with the ant
    seek wisdom from the worm, as..

    ha, there is wisdom to be had of both of them....

    the unborn shroud of my breath....wow..nice close too...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you. Brian I am hoping to extended this write...bkm

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow. Really gorgeous. Every bit of it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. if we wake in the morning, longing, what does that do to our day?

    Where is the Food when mother is not?

    ReplyDelete
  5. My favorite part is stanza 2 -- dancing with the ant and seeking wisdom from the worm. I do think we can learn so much from attending to the teachings of the 'lesser' creatures. And it is no small thing to be loved by ivy! Smiles.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is such an interesting and complex poem. I really like it, but I have to read it a couple of times to get the fullness out of it.

    There is something so satisfying in the rhythm. Not straight flow, but syncopated?

    Really like this one. Different, fresh, original.

    Lady Nyo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much Lady. I appreciate your take on the piece -you being an accomplished poet ,,.bkm

      Delete
  7. the rhythm of this flows beautifully... i hear the earth speaking in this one and was looking for more...

    ReplyDelete
  8. not window would
    find me, not line, not a word

    These are the lines that speak clearly to me. A feeling of complete isolation, whether chosen or imposed. I read and re-read in order to better understand every intimation and nuance. Not an easy read, but filled with vivid imagery.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Kim for taking the time to read between the lines ,much appreciated...bkm

      Delete
  9. "the veil of all longing known only to the morning
    feathers once flown
    laugh at the wind"... beautiful, beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much Laura. I am glad you enjoyed it... bkm

      Delete
  10. you make some most beautiful connections, and use such original and thoughtful imagery: creme, caul...

    ReplyDelete